Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Grading papers part 2

Nearly 300 pages later, I am done. Grades have been submitted. Here are my thoughts: Some were quite amazing, however others left a lot to be desired. I was particularily impressed with a couple of students who provided intriguing insight and even gave me a few ideas to ponder. I gave up trying to be a red-pen-Nazi and stuck to thorough reading, an occasional comment to show disgust or praise, and a red score written on the first page.

My biggest pet peeve, endless paragraphs that go on for a page or more. Are ENTER and TAB to difficult to press? Along similar lines, periods could have been used a bit more frequently. Granted, this was not an English paper, but come on! My conclusion: I should offer editing services. I could easily garner an additional 5-10 percentage points for some of these papers, padding my wallet at the same time.

No comments: